[lbo-talk] hucksterism, the quick score, etc.

JOANNA A. 123hop at comcast.net
Wed Jul 16 09:40:43 PDT 2014

There's no other vision than that of the individual against the system.

----- Original Message ----- Nice post. Aren't the luck trope and the loophole trope related on some level? The post-Reformation/capitalist individual has both the "pluck and luck" (to quote an Alger title), i.e., the luck to find an "opportunity" (such as a loophole) and the pluck exploit it.

This is mythic thinking, in which the system exists only to be overcome or evaded by the hero. And that it is mythic thinking I think goes a long way to explaining its grip.

But the traditional hero was an atypical person, so if now everyone is to be his/her own hero, the heroic feats have to undergo some devolution: Odysseus' trickster-style evasion of the cyclops becomes finding a loophole.