[lbo-talk] Warmonger Media Storm Against Saving Sgt. Bergdahl Shows Why We Have So Much War

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Jun 5 14:48:49 PDT 2014

"...The political forces that are trashing the deal to rescue Sgt. Bergdahl are the same political forces that got us into the Iraq war. They are the same political forces who want to keep the Afghanistan war going indefinitely. They are the same political forces who want to keep the Guantanamo prison open indefinitely...."

If you're in doubt, it becomes clear later in the article who these evil political forces are : "...Republican warmongers..." (Put aside for the moment that there is an anti-war wing of the Republican party and no anti-war wing to the Democratic party.)

This is dangerous nonsense. The geopolitical goals that produced - and continue to produce - American mass murder in the Middle East remain those of the Obama administration. Obama's lies about "winding down the war" are for domestic consumption, because the US populace is "war-weary" - i.e., overwhelmingly opposed to war as it was in the late 1960s. But the US government intends to continue its belligerent military action around the world - including an assassination campaign and US death squads ("special forces") in 134 countries - as the only way to maintain its economic hegemony. ("Isolating Russia and China" in the current DC lexicon - and that depends upon controlling Mideast energy flows.) Obama just has to solve a PR problem with the US populace...

It simply supports administration propaganda to argue that Obama is trying to end the war and is prevented by Republicans.

--CGE