[lbo-talk] FW: [Milton-L] Redundancy of Evaluative Terms was RE: Shakespeare vs. Milton in London, Sunday, 22 June.

Arthur Maisel arthurmaisel at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 05:10:23 PDT 2014

"Great" is often mustered in those idiotic lists that journalists are so fond of (because they know the price of everything and the value of nothing---some connection to the prevailing economic system there, probably). But I think the person who responded to Carrol may have evoked a lingering valid use of the term with the phrase "it becomes a world": "great" as inclusive, as giving the lovely illusion of real experience. Some of the pleasure that the Austen passage gives is in the beautiful ebb and flow of the language, but another kind of pleasure comes from how it conveys life.