[lbo-talk] Fredrik deBoer: "I think the problem of white poverty is under-discussed in left-wing circles."

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Jun 28 10:35:40 PDT 2014

"A lot of X" has no content. Statements without content are difficult to explain, since there is _nothing_ in shared actuality which can be the grounds for explanation. Hence the obvious and spontaneous response to such statements is to explain them in terms of the private (and ultimately unknowable) motive of the speaker or writer. But in these cases ascribing motive does not constitute (as it usually does) an ad hominem argument, since the basis for ascribing the motive is embedded in the language itself: there can be no objective motive for such statements.

"A lot of X" has no existence. It is logically impossible to assign content to it.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Carrol Cox Sent: Saturday, June 28, 2014 11:02 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Fredrik deBoer: "I think the problem of white poverty is under-discussed in left-wing circles."

"Let me sit on a throne by the side of the road and sneer at the fools struggling by." This seems to ne to be JC's fundamental perspective.

Carrol