[lbo-talk] Fredrik deBoer: “I think the problem of white poverty is under-discussed in left-wing circles.”

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 15:25:12 PDT 2014

On Sat, Jun 28, 2014 at 11:58 PM, michael yates <mikedjyates at msn.com> wrote:

> And what might the "popular left" be? Popular to whom?

Har! My eyebrows nearly hit the ceiling when I read that part, too.

> "the Appalachian mountains"? Not much specificity here. Those mountains go
> from southern NY to Alabama, Georgia, and Mississippi.

>From Newfoundland, depending on who's doing the mapping.

> That's a pretty big area (and about 25 million people) to be writing about
> "the destitute white underclass." What is an "underclass" anyway?

Sure, anything you can say will be a generalization. That's why, as opposed to deBoer, I'd count a certain approach to it as an active bias, not simple disregard.

Then again, you can't say much about urban black America, or Indian reservations, without generalizing either. People still manage to find intelligent things to say.

> If I am not mistaken, Carrol Cox has mentioned on any number of occasions
> on several lists the local groups to which he has belonged and what they
> were trying to do.

Well, if he's determined to wear it as a badge of legitimacy (which I think is dumb, but seems to be his approach), he should do it more often. I have no clue, nor do I much care, but if he wants us to be awed by his length, he has to at least tell us what it is.