[lbo-talk] Blog Post: Teaching Workers

Charles Brown cb31450 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 07:29:31 PST 2014

In a similar vein in an intro anthropology class, I am teaching that the original human beings , the great leap forward to being homo sapiens from ape-like species was to altruism and sharing , generalized intense generosity, away from selfishness and greed. So, the original human nature is the opposite of capitalist "nature". The bourgeoisie act more like monkeys than humans. Altruism, sharing, one for all and all for one, two heads are better than one, are a better adaptive strategy than selfishness in the Darwinian sense of adaptive. Based on the newly invented culture and kinship systems, highly social humans were more fit to migrate to all the environments on earth , unlike chimps or any other species.

I also found out that the actual Bible in Genesis and elsewhere, has a lot of agreement with anthropology that altruism and sharing were the best species "strategy" for survival at origin. It is a basis for arguing to Christians, which there are a lot of in America, that they are the best strategy now.

Anthropology 152

Quiz

1)According to anthropology ( even if only as science fiction ), what were the main unique species aspects of the original human nature 10,000's of years ago ? Was the original human nature likely to be selfish and greedy ? Why or why not in terms of the Darwinian theory of natural selection ?

4) On what issues concerning the nature of the world, human nature , the origin of human life and the origin of all life might Creationists, including followers of Genesis, and Evolutionists , including anthropologists, be said to agree ?

5) What are the names of the species that have been part of the genus _homo_ over hundreds of thousands of years according to _The Essence of Anthropology_ ? Why is the Stone Age called the Stone Age ( Paleolithic and Neolithic ) ? How would institutionalized war have impacted the survival fitness of Stone Age human populations which were small ?

6) So far, what do you understand anthropology to be about ? Why does anthropology matter, if it does ? What is culture ?