[lbo-talk] Sects and vanguards - SDS, Weatherman, etc.

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sat Mar 8 03:11:24 PST 2014

It's actually a very old idea. The youth arms of the CPUSA did that sort of thing, rather successfully, back in the 1930s, in terms of sending young college students or graduates in to help organize the CIO unions. Some of the European social democratic parties were doing that even earlier too. The philosopher Karl Popper, as a young man, trained to be a cabinetmaker, as part of such an effort by the Austrian Social Democrats. In the case of the Progressive Labor Party, there were certainly people in it at that time who had direct experiences of what the CPUSA had done in the 1930s. However, in the case of Progressive Labor and SDS, I don't think they had the people who could have provided effective guidance over the young kids that they were sending out.

Jim Farmelant http://independent.academia.edu/JimFarmelant http://www.linkedin.com/in/jimfarmelant www.foxymath.com Learn or Review Basic Math

-------------------------------------------------- From: "JOANNA A." <123hop at comcast.net> Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2014 8:26 PM To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Sects and vanguards - SDS, Weatherman, etc.