[lbo-talk] Comments from the informed? "The 1, 500 year old schism fuelling the clash between Russia and the West"

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 06:15:17 PDT 2014

On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 11:45 PM, Joseph Catron <jncatron at gmail.com> wrote:

You could say the patriarchs of Eastern Orthodoxy are a lot like cardinals,
> in that they comprise the collegial government of an undivided church.

Huzzah! By happy coincidence, this system may once again be functional soon, after a brief hiatus:

"Twelve heads of autonomous Orthodox churches, the second-largest family of Christian churches, also agreed to hold a summit of bishops, or ecumenical council, in 2016, which will be the first in over 1,200 years."

http://reut.rs/1i8tWDz

One wonders - if one is the type to concern oneself with such things - what the Pope (of Rome, not Alexandria) will make of this? I seem to vaguely recall that part of the logic behind not having one until now was that it couldn't very well go on without him. Don't quote me on that, though.

http:/ <http://reut.rs/1i8tWDz> -- "Hige sceal þe heardra, heorte þe cenre, mod sceal þe mare, þe ure mægen lytlað."