[lbo-talk] wealth is not a zero sum game

Charles Brown cb31450 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 05:51:11 PDT 2014

At a symbolic level, if there is no mass of poor people, rich people are not fully rich. To be rich is to have much more than most other people. In other words, being rich is not entirely having an absolute amount , but rather having a relative amount, relatively more than most. So, in that sense, wealth is all about things not being "win-win". There must be winners and mostly losers.

^^^^^^^^

CB: to be more specific , there must be people who live relatively more miserably because of the level of their income. They must be less comfortable than the rich , for the rich to really feel they are rich. There must be a mass of people who are immiserated or else the status of rich is nothing special.