[lbo-talk] with international law in the news, could we make the U.S. comply?

Bill Bartlett william7 at aapt.net.au
Sat Mar 22 15:33:06 PDT 2014

On 23/03/2014, at 7:07 AM, Eric Beck <ersatzdog at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's not a congenital defect, and there wouldn't
> be international comity if the US were nicer.

Not everything would be sweetness and light if the US complied with international law of course. But the question is, would it make a difference? Would a US that acted as a slightly more positive role model (you know - light on the hill type of thing) lead to others to take international law into account occasionally? Its not just official enemies that are taking their lead from the US these days, but allies like Australia have taken to treating international law with contempt, see its treatment of asylum seekers.

Couldn't do any harm. At least then when the US protested about breaches of law people might not just think they had just tuned into a comedy sketch. So Robert Naiman is right.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas