[lbo-talk] A tiny story . . .

michael yates mikedjyates at msn.com
Sun May 25 12:09:21 PDT 2014

Thanks for the interesting workplace story. People have more complex notions in their heads that we sometimes give them credit for. I no longer have workmates. But what we have found is how open people are to talking about their work and lives, and how shitty so many peoples' lives are. Overworked, taking care of grandkids, kids on drugs, low wages, etc. We listen and talk about our own lives and troubles. It is remarkable what men and women tell us. We're in Tennessee now. I read that the UAW when its organizers were trying to organize the VW workers, agree with the company not to have house meetings with the workers. And it made little effort to connect with community groups. Yet I kept hearing about southern culture and how workers here can't be organized. I think this is nonsense. You have to meet workers where they are, so to speak, and find what resonates and what does not. That unions don't often do this is one reason why union membership is so low. If workers love guns, hunting, fast cars, and church, you have to go from there. None of these things mean that they don't know work sucks and their lives are hard and precarious. Or that they won't fight collectively when conditions are right.