[lbo-talk] Working Families Party leader endorses Howie Hawkins for Governor of NY

Mitchel Cohen mitchelcohen at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 4 06:06:29 PST 2014

PLEASE FORWARD

From: Selah Eric Spruiell <sespruiell at gmail.com> Date: Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 7:53 PM Subject: Re: An Open Letter to Working Families Party Members

My name is Eric Spruiell:

I am a Working Families Party member and I am registered as such with the NYC Board of Elections.

I am against fracking. Fracking will endanger our water supply, so I will vote NO on Proposition 1. I suggest that you do so as well, if we want to continue to have the best drinking water in the nation.

I will vote for Working Party issues and for local Working Family endorsed candidates, but I will NOT vote Andrew Cuomo for Governor. Andrew Cuomo does not deserve my vote.

I was present four years ago when Andrew Cuomo attempted to hold our party hostage. I was in the room when Bob Masters pleaded with us to bite the bullet, shallow our pride and accept Andrew Cuomo's terms. We were against the wall. We have fought our way back.

I remembered those dark days four years ago, when Zephyr Teachout sought our endorsement this past May. I was one of those who cried out against Cuomo. Cuomo made many promises that day. Many arms were twisted by him, Bill de Blasio, the union lead factions of the party and some of our affiliates. The party activists held out for Teachout. The aforementioned party leaders won the day. Zephyr sought the Democratic line anyway.

Andrew Cuomo froze Zephyr out by tying her up in court. Even though Teachout won each case on the merits, it burned up money. It burned up valuable time. Cuomo was spared the indignity of having to debate Zephyr Teachout.

I recently saw the debates between Michael McDermott of the Libertarian Party, Howie Hawkins of the Green Party, Rob Astorino of the Republican Party and Andrew Cuomo. Astorino and Cuomo conducted the usual dog and pony show. McDermott and Hawkins, surprisingly showed up as the most substantive candidates.

I was going to write in Teachout on Election Day, but I realize that would be a wasted vote. Teachout has not mounted a write in campaign. She has thrown in the towel, G-D Bless her. She gave the good fight. She was out moneyed and out gunned.

I am voting Howie Hawkins for Governor on the Green Party line. In my opinion, of the four candidates currently on the ballot, Howie Hawkins comes the closest to my values. As I said, Andrew Cuomo does not deserve my vote.

Voting is an important franchise that all Americans should exercise. I suggest that everybody vote in this election.

I suggest you vote your conscience.

I certainly will.

Eric L. Spruiell Working Families Party Member

<http://www.lulu.com/shop/mitchel-cohen/what-is-direct-action/paperback/product-20937425.html>http://www.lulu.com/shop/mitchel-cohen/what-is-direct-action/paperback/product-20937425.html Mitchel Cohen's book, "What Is Direct Action? Lessons from (and to) Occupy Wall Street" (foreword by Richard Wolff) (596 pages). Get it now!

<http://www.mitchelcohen.com/>http://www.MitchelCohen.com

Newest posts:

* Audio: Listen to poems by Mitchel Cohen: "The Permanent Carnival," and "In Memoriam: For Fallen Comrades"

* Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: The Coming Race War Won't Be About Race

* Mitchel Cohen: Is Violence in Your Genes? Genetic Racism & Biological Determinism

* David Swanson: So that's why they kept the 'drone memo' secret

* Mitchel Cohen: In Defense of Bowe Bergdahl: For each & every warrior whose strength is not to fight

* What is the fight in the Ukraine really about? (4 articles by Savas Michael-Matsas, Marilyn Vogt-Downey, Chris Kinder, Michael Hudson.)

* Radio Interview with John "Tito" Gerassi, friend of Che Guevara & Salvador Allende

* On Pinochet's Capture -- LISTEN to the song/poem by Mitchel Cohen & Victor Jara

* Remembering Dennis Brutus, as well as Nelson Mandela

* Mumia Abu-Jamal (audio): Detroit: Night of the Wolves: Class War Against the Working Class Ring the bells that still can ring, Forget your perfect offering. There is a crack, a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in. ~ Leonard Cohen