[lbo-talk] Democrats

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Nov 5 07:47:21 PST 2014

If you go back to the early years of this list I think you will find posts by both myself and Doug, possibly by others, arguing that DP administrations were 'better' for leftists on the grounds that such administrations caused more discontent, since they violated hopes and expectations. We were wrong. We've had six years of a DP president (two years with a DP control of Congress), an Administration which is one of the more detestable Administrations in U.S. history, and yet left liberals and even most radicals, many even who call themselves revolutionaries, are clinging more desperately than ever to the DP. And while The Worse the Better is not true, What _SEEMS_ to be The Worst may be better. There is little chance of even minor social improvements (minimum wage, Medicaid, labor militancy) until hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions of US workers become convinced that _nothing_ is to be expected from _any_ elected government.

A Republican victory in 2016 is probably the best hope for immediate as well as long-range gains.

Carrol l