[lbo-talk] Forget Veterans Day, but remember Tomas Young

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 23:07:59 PST 2014

"Tomas Young, an Iraq War veteran and outspoken critic of the war he was severely injured in, died on Monday at the age of 34 - a day before Veteran's Day. There is no word about the cause of death.

"Tomas Young enlisted in the military two days after 9/11 because he wanted to strike back at those responsible for the attack on America. Instead of being deployed to Afghanistan after joining the Army, he was deployed to Iraq. He was shot in the chest and paralyzed during an insurgent attack in Sadr City just a few days after beginning his tour of duty.

"His injuries resulted in quadriplegia, paralysis from the neck down. Young became a significant critic of the war in Iraq – during which 4,488 soldiers and Marines died in Iraq and 30,000 were wounded – and an early member of Iraq Veterans Against the War advocacy group ..."

http://rt.com/usa/204199-iraq-veteran-tomas-young-death

Young will perhaps be remembered most widely for his 2013 "Message to George W. Bush and Dick Cheney From a Dying Veteran":

"I write this letter, my last letter, to you, Mr. Bush and Mr. Cheney. I write not because I think you grasp the terrible human and moral consequences of your lies, manipulation and thirst for wealth and power. I write this letter because, before my own death, I want to make it clear that I, and hundreds of thousands of my fellow veterans, along with millions of my fellow citizens, along with hundreds of millions more in Iraq and the Middle East, know fully who you are and what you have done. You may evade justice but in our eyes you are each guilty of egregious war crimes, of plunder and, finally, of murder, including the murder of thousands of young Americans—my fellow veterans—whose future you stole ...

"My day of reckoning is upon me. Yours will come. I hope you will be put on trial. But mostly I hope, for your sakes, that you find the moral courage to face what you have done to me and to many, many others who deserved to live. I hope that before your time on earth ends, as mine is now ending, you will find the strength of character to stand before the American public and the world, and in particular the Iraqi people, and beg for forgiveness."

http://www.truthdig.com/dig/item/the_last_letter_20130318