[lbo-talk] Documented pattern of govt/elite front groups

Louis Trager ltrager at sonic.net
Wed Oct 1 14:17:01 PDT 2014

I'm believe I'm researching a fairly long-term, extra-constitutional structure for political warfare and social engineering, serving economic and ideological interests and U.S. power internationally, and involving a relatively tiny number of very well-connected people. It was an aspect -- I think a significant one -- of the liberal-moderate interventionist current or milieu that dominated the mid-century era, but that was not undisputed or undefeated. All the key facts were out in the open as they occurred, or soon after, except for acknowledgment of the government connection, whose unearthing in dozens of cases suggests that the cover typically was not very deep.

Discrete conspiracies exist. They can be interesting and important; they can be rabbit holes; and they can be ridiculous distractions. Conspiracism produces bad thinking, bad writing, and terrible politics. I'm obliged to knock down the usually fantastic and not-infrequently vile conspiracy theories that opponents wielded against the players I'm writing about. But I'm probably silly to hope I can inoculate myself effectively against the red herring of conspiracy-mongering myself.