[lbo-talk] [Pen-l] YPG defends beseiged Kolbani

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Oct 6 21:10:38 PDT 2014

If there were even 5 or 6 reasonably large (not huge, just a few thousand) groups that talked to each other and could often agree roughly on major issues, and if such a loose coalition could at least respond in various ways to events such as Ferguson or Gaza, it would hardly be a discipline left such as some still dream. But it would make some sense to speak of their actions and events as representative of "A Left." Marv's "circles" are ridiculous.

We need a coherent left; until one arises capital remains unfettered, and even events that trigger wide outrage won't trigger real resistance.

It's vicious nonsense to think that mere passive opinion can affect state or corporate practice.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Joseph Catron Sent: Monday, October 06, 2014 7:16 PM To: Progressive Economics Cc: Activists and scholars in Marxist tradition; LBO Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] [Pen-l] YPG defends beseiged Kolbani

And while we can haggle over the existence or non-existence of a "left," it's not like there's a big sector inclined to support armed struggles overseas. How many will even openly back the Palestinian resistance, on which most in left circles are far more knowledgeable?

(I gather the answer is more than in 2012, and a lot more than in 2008-2009, but still not many in the scheme of things.)

I think the main dynamics are: