[lbo-talk] David Graeber on the Kurdish struggle

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Oct 9 11:52:00 PDT 2014

On Oct 9, 2014, at 2:40 PM, Marv Gandall <marvgand2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm firmly with Joanna. Why anyone professing to be on the left would criticize someone from issuing a public call for solidarity with the only left-wing organization engaged in an armed struggle anywhere today is beyond me. The young Kurdish women and men in the YPG and PKK are our political kin every bit as much as were the Sandinistas and Vietnamese earlier. Mocking Graeber for not picking up a gun strikes me as a cynical and self-serving justification by some Western leftists for their own conspicuous failure to speak out.

The vocalization of solidarity is costless. What do you or Graeber propose to do about it? Like I said, his Twitter feed, which is often a feverish and nutty thing, is hard to decode, but at places sounded like an endorsement of some form of U.S. intervention. But since it's impossible to have an electronic conversation with him - he flies off the handle constantly - it's hard to clarify exactly what he's asking for. That's the reason for the mockery.