[lbo-talk] [Pen-l] Now this is an interesting question: "Why did Israel target and kill Hebrew speakers in Gaza?"

Marv Gandall marvgand2 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 07:00:23 PDT 2014

I’m skeptical that this incident(s) was the premeditated execution of a “new practice” in Gaza ostensibly ordered by the Israeli high command.

No doubt militants who know the language of the enemy make more effective combatants in close quarter fighting and on raids, and in that sense pose a greater threat to Israeli security. But this was a 54 year man. The accounts sound more like random acts perpetrated by angry, stressed and trigger happy troops in the field who will seize on any pretext to commit violence, including murder, against civilians.

As well as in Gaza, many and perhaps more West Bank Palestinians speak Hebrew. Many have been shot, not for speaking Hebrew, but for throwing stones and other acts of resistance. You would think if there was evidence of such targeted “linguisticide” we would be seeing confirmation of the practice in media reports and from various Palestinian and Israeli human rights organizations. You live over there and are better situated than any of us to establish whether anyone other than Max Blumenthal, whom I greatly respect BTW, has reported in the same vein?