[lbo-talk] Women as tools: on the selective fetishization of female resistance fighters

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 05:00:11 PDT 2014

"What’s beautiful is that these Kurdish fighters, both women and men, are fighting for the rights of everyone who is potentially a victim of IS, no matter their religion or ethnicity. Personally, I think the West can't handle this. They can't accept this beauty. The YPJ is not only a militia, but also a movement for the equality of women and men, aiming to change the traditional societal stigmas that are attached to a woman's role within Kurdish culture and also worldwide. The Western media has failed to portray this, and instead we see headlines depicting an amazement that women are killing IS members, as if it is something new and particularly extraordinary that women guerilla fighters exist ..."

http://english.al-akhbar.com/content/women-tools-selective-fetishization-female-resistance-fighters