[lbo-talk] [Marxism] [Pen-l] Israel moves closer to a single-state solution

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 09:45:32 PDT 2014

On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 7:35 PM, Marv Gandall via Marxism < marxism at lists.csbs.utah.edu> wrote:

But is there not in fact a system of institutionalized racism against the
> Palestinian minority inside Israel, one tacitly accepted by many liberals
> grouped around the Labour Party and even Meretz?

Yes, very much so. Here's what I wrote over there:

"The distinction I meant to draw was between the many Israeli policies supported by 'liberal' Zionists which clearly, right on paper, discriminate on a racial basis, and those in Western countries, which do not. I think there's a meaningful difference, for example, between American redlining and Israeli land covenants, which restrict the use of 93% of its territory on an explicitly racial basis."

... To cite one example. Here's a database of racist laws, with varying degrees of explicitness:

http://adalah.org/eng/Israeli-Discriminatory-Law-Database