[lbo-talk] [Pen-l] Israel moves closer to a single-state solution

Marv Gandall marvgand2 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 07:57:33 PDT 2014

On Sep 2, 2014, at 9:21 AM, Robert Naiman <naiman at justforeignpolicy.org> wrote:

> I read Sheizaf as saying that the advocacy of some on the Zionist Right for giving voting rights to Palestinians will never come to anything. Do you disagree?

So long as the status quo remains intact, I wouldn't disagree. Inertia tends to govern.

But should it be deemed necessary, citizenship is one possibility in a Greater Israel which, of course, would exclude Gaza and the large Palestinian refugee population outside its borders. The Zionists would correctly see this as a means of relieving the growing international and Palestinian pressure on them to withdraw from the occupied territories and allow them to complete their program of a Jewish state encompassing the West Bank, what they call Judea and Samaria.

A separate Palestinian state, ie. a Bantustan under full Israeli suzerainty, is a second possibility.

Another wave of ethnic cleansing is a third if a threatening third intifada or another war with its neighbours erupts which provides Israel with both the necessity and pretext for engaging in such.

I'd be surprised if all of these options aren't regularly canvassed within the Israeli ruling class. As in all ruling classes (or any institution, for that matter), a decision is rarely if ever known in advance but is typically made in light of the perceived balance of forces and other relevant considerations.

We shouldn't presume to know better, one way or the other, which doesn't preclude us from speculating on possible outcomes.