[lbo-talk] [Pen-l] The economics of Scottish independence

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Sun Sep 7 06:26:04 PDT 2014

What about dual currency? With the rise of electronic transactions, this would seem to be more practical then ever. When I pay with a credit card in European airports, I am asked whether I want to pay in Euros or dollars, although I have no Euros and my bank in Illinois has no Euros either. Why can't a European country such as Scotland or Greece use Euros for international transactions while introducing a domestic currency for some domestic transactions, like paying taxes, paying a portion of government wages, paying a portion of government-regulated utility bills, paying a portion of government contracts? What if a government is under pressure to cut its Euro wage bill and increase its tax receipts? Wouldn't it be better to pay a portion of the government wage bill in domestic currency than simply cutting government wages? Wouldn't there be a greater incentive to pay taxes if people were holding domestic currency that couldn't be sent out of the country, but could be used to pay taxes? Wouldn't the fact that the government was using its power to ensure that domestic currency was good for certain transactions act as a backstop of its value?

Robert Naiman Policy Director Just Foreign Policy www.justforeignpolicy.org naiman at justforeignpolicy.org (202) 448-2898 x1