[lbo-talk] Phyllis Wise, chancellor , Remains Piggish to the End

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Sep 8 07:55:52 PDT 2014

Michael Yates:

In 45 years of teaching, I knew but a handful of principled faculty, people who would make a personal sacrifice to uphold academic freedom, for example, and not a single administrator. Right from the Chancellor down to the department chairpersons. The default position for a "principled" professor is to write a letter. So how likely are the necessary struggles to take place?

I can modify this, just a bit, from personal experience.

During the 1970-71 academic year, we had a temporary president at ISU. At the same time the Board demanded that I be fired. The acting president declared he would resign unless proper procedures were followed. But on the whole I agree with Michael on University administrators.

Carrol