[lbo-talk] Secular stagnation - in your neighborhood

Eugene Coyle e.coyle at me.com
Fri Apr 10 18:34:05 PDT 2015

Today's WSJ has an article that begins:

> The American labor market and middle class was once built on the routine job–workers showed up at factories and offices, took their places on the assembly line or the paper-pushing chain, did the same task over and over, and then went home.
>
> New research from Henry Siu at the University of British Columbia and Nir Jaimovich from Duke University shows just how much the world of routine work has collapsed. The economists released a paper today, published by the centrist Democratic think tank Third Way, showing that over the course of the last two recessions and recoveries, a period beginning in 2001, the economy’s job growth has come entirely from nonroutine work.

<snip>

Full at http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2015/04/08/is-your-job-routine-if-so-its-probably-disappearing/?mod=trending_now_3#

But prob. behind a pay wall.

Some interesting graphics in the article.

The discussion among Summers, Bernanke, Krugman and others is pathetically light weight. Summers at least sees the problem but won't face the solution. Bernanke is in a state of invincible ignorance -- by desire, I would guess.

Gene