[lbo-talk] Pope's encyclical re technology & Silicon Valley money

Eugene Coyle e.coyle at me.com
Wed Aug 5 08:51:34 PDT 2015

Pope Francis wrote about a new service -- "Washio" offered in San Francisco. Not specifically of course, but rather about how technology is is about power and how it changes human relationships. See pages circa 75 - 85 for the pope on technology. Francis writes about technology on other pages as well.

The encyclical -- LAUDATO SI -- is an analysis with our best hope to deal with global warming. And it is about much more.

But here is a an example illustrating in a tiny way a tiny piece of what Pope Francis writes:

In San Francisco a new service called Washio is available. I know a person who uses it. A user phones for a pick-up of dirty laundry, schedules the return to coincide when the user is home to receive delivery. Very convenient for a busy, apartment dwelling worker without a washer and dryer. A claim is that neighborhood laundromats are being put out of business by this new service. Convenience for the affluent but inconvenience for others.

The article, titled
> One Tweet Shows What Silicon Valley Really Thinks of the People It's Crushing

shows the Tweet from the title.

Full article at: http://mic.com/articles/123311/silicon-valley-white-male-privilege-class-war?nl=technology&emc=edit_tu_20150805

Gene