[lbo-talk] Time to Stop Worshipping Economic Growth

Barry Brooks durable at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 2 10:43:25 PST 2015

http://steadystate.org/time-to-stop-worshipping-economic-growth/

The steps we should take are listed, such as "The possibility of doing only the needed work and accepting any unused productive capacity."

Less than maximum production implies less than full employment in paid jobs. Beyond that acceptance is the idea that the unearned income that defines capitalism combined with cyber-automation will shift the wages of paid work toward the unearned income of owners. Production for need will combine with automation to make paid full-employment unnecessary and impossible. Ownership will become necessary.

Paid motherhood and other kinds of "service jobs" that we could chose to not automate can extend wage-dependence far beyond the need for normally-paid human labor. Innovation can find ways to marketize many other person-to-person activities, thus allowing service jobs to provide full employment and the dignity of such work as scratching each other's backs.

Weisskopf has a section on growth fetishism in his book, "Alienation and Economics." Support for growth doesn't mean we are anything worse than normal.

Barry http://home.earthlink.net/~durable/