[lbo-talk] this list

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Tue Dec 15 18:18:24 PST 2015

I kind think of at least a couple of reasons to keep this list going:

(1). Email lists, as a medium, are still more conducive to the discussion of long and complex arguments than is FB, or other social media.

(2). Email lists, like this one, have archiving. Furthermore, the archives are readily searchable, even years later, FB groups lack that functionality.

(3). FB groups are subject to the whims of Zuckerberg, and company. FB has been known to arbitrarily delete groups and pages, whose content was controversial. Email lists are less susceptible to that sort of thing.

Jim Farmelant http://independent.academia.edu/JimFarmelant http://www.foxymath.com Learn or Review Basic Math

---------- Original Message ---------- From: Michael Smith <mjs at smithbowen.net> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] this list Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2015 15:49:19 -0500

For what it's worth, I'm in favor of keeping the list too.

The decline of e-mail lists is a curious phenomenon. Perhaps Gresham's Law is at work. Facebook is an impossible platform for any kind of serious exchange. And as for Twitter...!

On the other hand, perhaps we are a NORC. We've each heard what all the others have to say a million times. There are people whom I have had to swear, on my granny's grave, never to make fun of again. Which of course does take some of the fun out of it.