[lbo-talk] Five years in, what can we learn from the Arab Spring?

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 02:30:36 PST 2015

At the optimistic end, perhaps we might conclude that these kinds of things don't always translate well from one context to another. Tunisia, where it began, has actually done pretty well.

Of course, it's probably no coincidence that Tunisia was also the only Arab Spring state where events unfolded naturally, with past and present intervention by Western powers a minimal factor.

"Faida Hamdy confiscated a vegetable stall in Tunisia five years ago today. Neither she nor the rest of the world could have imagined the consequences."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/tunisia/12054657/I-started-the-Arab-Spring.-Now-death-is-everywhere-and-extremism-blooming.html