[lbo-talk] The Tape of Human History

JOANNA A. 123hop at comcast.net
Fri Dec 18 08:15:36 PST 2015

Beg to differ. The whole problem in Hamlet is that the autonomy preached by Polonius has very much taken hold and in fact nobody knows anybody. So a lot of very violent detective work gets going.

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- As far as I know, the first major work in which total strangers meet in a strange context is Paradise lost: The Encounter of the Cherub and Uriel. They must start from scratch, as it were, to establish an abstract principle upon which they can relate to each other. (And the 'real' identity of the Cherub is irrelevant: Milton sticks in the observation that hypocrisy is the one sin that is recognizable by God alone: not even the highest angels can see through it. Hence the Cherub is a Cherub, not Satan.) In Hamlet & Lear everyone knows everyone.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of JOANNA A. Sent: Friday, December 18, 2015 4:45 AM To: lbo-talk Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] The Tape of Human History

If there was no difference, you could have fooled Shakespeare who noticed a distinct difference in the quality/presence of relationship in plays like Lear, Macbeth, Hamlet....all turning upon connections, relations, obligations, and what happens when these are destroyed or ignored.

No doubt tribes quarreled over scarce resource, but lets recall that scarcity under capitalism is largely manufactured as a matter or policy.

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- Ah, just noticed. Seems the referenced quote was mine, last year.

On Dec 17, 2015, at 12:01 PM, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

> I pick up a thread from November 23-24, 2010, with the subject line, RIP
> Chalmers Johnson
>
> For all but the first post the subject line should have been "Capitalism
an
> Aberration?" And underlying that topic was the question of whether
Progress