[lbo-talk] The Tape of Human History

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Fri Dec 18 08:43:53 PST 2015

On Dec 18, 2015, at 11:29 AM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> You are in effect saying that if someone asked Hamlet who was the King of
> Denmark he would have been unable to speak the word, "Claudius." You make
> an unacceptable shift in the meaning of the word "know" in this context.

If asked that question, Hamlet's response would have been "Do you mean the rightful king or the usurper?", the answer being Hamlet (in the first instance) or "Claudius" (in the second). But I'm not sure what Joanna means by the word "know" here. Certainly Hamlet knows Ophelia very well (including in the "biblical" sense) and he also plainly knows exactly what sort of scum Polonius is. But indeed, as Stoppard noted, Rosencrantz and Guildensterjn have no idea who anybody is (including themselves).

Shane Mage

This cosmos did none of gods or men make, but it always was and is and shall be: an everlasting fire, kindling in measures and going out in measures.

Herakleitos of Ephesos