[lbo-talk] anarchist films

Jeffrey Masko j.alan.masko at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 09:52:28 PST 2015

Not sure I'd say Douglas Sirk George Cukor and Alfred Hitchcock liberated the aesthetic forms of Hollywood cinemas, trapped as they are in representation and classical narrative structure. Don't see any liberating of minds in those folks, not Fassbinder either. Just stories.

The analogy of classical narrative style to capitalism and other alternative styles as Marxist/Anarchist/other is flawed as I'm not sure alternatives ways of living (other than capitalism) are dependent on capital as are ways of seeing anarchist cinema (whatever that means as form) as dependent on the creation of the Hollywood system.

Even Godard conceded every film must have a beginning, middle, and end, just not in that order. Even *Wavelength* (Snow, 1967) has a beginning. Temporal, not narrative, but it still it begins and ends. So I'm would think true anarchy in film would be in experimental, not the narrative structures.