[lbo-talk] The misuse of political movements for essentially religious ends

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Wed Dec 23 15:00:56 PST 2015

On Dec 23, 2015, at 5:27 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> Just a side note: my objection to ethical arguments does not apply to those whose ethical principles are grounded in religion. In that case the ethical arguments have a ground. But when atheists insist that politics must have an ethical grounding in mid-air (that is nowhere) they reduce politics to mere gut feeling. Ethics as their own ground is deeply seated bourgeois ideology.

What ground? Ethical arguments "grounded" in mid-air can at least claim a real basis (air being real.) But ethical arguments "grounded in religion" can claim no such basis, "grounded" as they are in fantasy about nonexistent "supernatural" beings.

Shane Mage

This cosmos did none of gods or men make, but it always was and is and shall be: an everlasting fire, kindling in measures and going out in measures.

Herakleitos of Ephesos