[lbo-talk] The misuse of political movements for essentially religious ends

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Wed Dec 23 16:16:48 PST 2015

On Dec 23, 2015, at 6:36 PM, Joseph Catron wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 23, 2015 at 6:11 PM, Shane Mage <shmage at pipeline.com> wrote:
>
> By this reasoning, if King Salman tells the world that his religion's
>> doctrine of right and wrong requires the beheading of apostates, who in the
>> world has the right to tell him that beheading, punishing, or suppressing
>> them is wrong?
>

> Well, you tell me. For starters, what do you mean by the word "wrong"?

That's for *you" to say. It was you who wrote "one thing that drives me batty
> about a certain breed of atheist ideologues (but by no means all atheists):
> their insistence that you don't need religion to tell right from wrong."

Since you proclaim the need for "religion" to "tell right from wrong," it is for you to say what "wrong" means in that proposition. And also just how "religion" is supposed to instruct us in making that distinction.

Shane Mage

This cosmos did none of gods or men make, but it always was and is and shall be: an everlasting fire, kindling in measures and going out in measures.

Herakleitos of Ephesos