[lbo-talk] The misuse of political movements for essentially relig ious ends

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 16:41:58 PST 2015

On Wed, Dec 23, 2015 at 7:27 PM, Jim Farmelant <farmelantj at juno.com> wrote:

If we opt for the former position, then we risk reducing the proposition
> that God's commandments are right,to a mere tautology.

I've never quite understood this argument by my good friend Jim, which seems to confuse definition with tautology. To King Salman, what's "good" is what follows the will of Allah, as expressed through the teachings of Islam. (Or at least that's something like what he'd tell you, perhaps more elegantly.) I rather suspect Shane won't buy His Majesty's premise here, but it's still a sounder definition than if he were to say, "Well, to be frank, I just prefer it all this way." That would tell us a great deal about him, and nothing at all about "good."

But how does accordance with a Divine will fail as a coherent definition? (Yes, Shane, we know what you'll say.) I simply don't see the loop that would render it a tautology.