[lbo-talk] The misuse of political movements for essentially religious ends

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Dec 23 16:44:15 PST 2015

I would have been pretty isolated politically for the last 45 years or so were it not for radical Christians (esp. Presbyterian, Roman Catholic, & Methodist) Until the prick of a Bishop in Peoria exiled him Father Joe Kennedy was absolutely central to anti-imperialist politics in Bloomington/Normal. And it was the example of the late Beulah Kennedy (of the A.M.E. church) that first radicalized me back in the '60s.

If/when another mass movement (or collection of mass movements) develops in the U.S. there will be millions of Christians and Muslims supporting it. As I've insisted on this list for some 17 years it is not intellectual persuasion but the experience movement that brings about change of mind.

But in its beginnings a movement must consist largely of those already agreeing with its goals; that means there will be no real political movement in the u.s. until 10s of thousands of left liberals in the DP turn their backs on that party and join the effort to develop a mass movement.

The DP is one of the most sinister "organizations' on the globe. Delenda est.

Carrol

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Jeffrey Masko Sent: Wednesday, December 23, 2015 1:14 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] The misuse of political movements for essentially religious ends

Truth is, in the U.S. we have to deal with interfaith groups that support "progressive causes" (fill in your own definition for that), nonetheless, they cannot be ignored. Seems in the past, the religious movements can lead to the revolutionary much quicker than academé.

--

J.A. Masko College of Communications Penn State University State College, Pa 16801

"The challenge of modernity is to live without illusions and without becoming disillusioned."