[lbo-talk] The misuse of political movements for essentially religious ends

JOANNA A. 123hop at comcast.net
Thu Dec 24 09:27:23 PST 2015

======

There are only political standards; adding little notes saying "good" or "bad" is (a) pointless and (b) redundant. The objection is to non-believers pulling abstract ethical principles out of their ass!

When a Presbyterian proclaims "genocide is evil," she has (believes she has) a foundation for that declaration. But when you or I say it, it is nonsense to claim an ethical rather than political reason for saying it.

Reducing politics to ethics is one source of opportunism, or politics through persuading the rulers that they should be nice.