[lbo-talk] The misuse of political movements for essentially religious ends

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 17:31:05 PST 2015

On Thu, Dec 24, 2015 at 8:17 PM, Shane Mage <shmage at pipeline.com> wrote:

> But "God" (proper noun) is very simple (simplicity being a universally
> recognized Divine Attribute) and the nonexistence of any entity
> corresponding to that Name is easily provable.

I'd certainly be interested in seeing the math on that one.

> (If, as the Buddha taught, all existing things come about through
> "conditioned origination," how can a totally unconditioned entity like
> "God" possibly exist)?

I'm not well-educated enough to wax philosophical on it in the correct terms, but it's an interesting question whether "existence" is even the right word for a status before, above, and beyond space-time. Does capital-g God "exist" in the same sense as my bottle of merlot or a beluga whale? Maybe not, but was that ever even the question?