[lbo-talk] Star Wars and the death of American cinema

Jeffrey Masko j.alan.masko at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 19:59:08 PST 2015

Red herrings abound here, but even if "Hollywood" (whatever that means, are we talking classical narrative film structures, modernist art films, postmodern film structures?) is going downhill (ignore David Lynch and the Coen Brothers, just for starters), there is nothing in film history that rivals what is going on on Television 2.0; shows like The Wire, True Detective, etc, easily are the best classical narrative structures out there. If we look at smaller films like Dope, or Dear White People, or any of the films of Ramin Bahrani, then the idea that cinema originating in the U.S. had it's highpoint in the 60's is seriously deluded.