[lbo-talk] Washington State Democratic Party's Central Committee passed a resolution opposing Common Core State Standards

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 06:51:08 PST 2015

Nice gesture, but as Batyushka Stalin quipped, how many divisions does the Washington State Democratic Party's Central Committee have?

A far more effective approach would be organizing a referendum that legally bans high stake standardized testing in the state, or better yet - makes them meaningless by allowing people to opt out. The idea that I circulated some time ago is the "promotion of educational choice" that mandates giving every student a choice of different testing methods e.g. standardized test, oral examination, or a performance of a project. If every of these three alternatives were equally likely to be elected, the standardized testing would be meaningless because they are based on ranking the entire student population not a self-selected sample accounting for a third of that population.

I think the idea of "choice" is catchy enough to be attractive to a wide range of interests, including libertarians, christers, and conservatives.

Wojtek