[lbo-talk] Prison system and the nonsense of public opinion

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 15:20:01 PST 2015

What light? She's heartened by an emerging awareness, "across a transpartisan spectrum," that locking people up for stupid crap like pot possession is pretty asinine from nearly every perspective, including most capitalist ones. That's a far cry from abolition. See what Ruth Wilson Gilmore, an actual abolitionist who cofounded the California Prison Moratorium Project and Critical Resistance, among other groups, has to say about this "tendency to cozy up to the right wing, as though a superficial overlap in viewpoint meant a unified structural analysis for action," yesterday:

http://www.socialjusticejournal.org/?p=2888