[lbo-talk] the nonsense of public opinion

MM marxmail00 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 14:02:22 PST 2015

On 28 Feb 2015, at 11:55 PM, Joseph Catron <jncatron at gmail.com> wrote:

> By every account I've seen, it was the army, which is a rather different
> matter. Do you have a citation for Žižek's version? I'd be interested in
> seeing exactly what he means.

"When an authoritarian regime approaches its final crisis, its dissolution as a rule follows two steps. Before its actual collapse, a mysterious rupture takes place: all of a sudden people know that the game is over, they are simply no longer afraid. It is not only that the regime loses its legitimacy, its exercise of power itself is perceived as an impotent panic reaction. We all know the classic scene from cartoons: the cat reaches a precipice, but it goes on walking, ignoring the fact that there is no ground under its feet; it starts to fall only when it looks down and notices the abyss. When it loses its authority, the regime is like a cat above the precipice: in order to fall, it only has to be reminded to look down…

"In Shah of Shahs, a classic account of the Khomeini revolution, Ryszard Kapuscinski located the precise moment of this rupture: at a Tehran crossroad, a single demonstrator refused to budge when a policeman shouted at him to move, and the embarrassed policeman simply withdrew; in a couple of hours, all Tehran knew about this incident, and although there were street fights going on for weeks, everyone somehow knew the game is over.”

Full: https://itself.wordpress.com/2009/06/24/will-the-cat-above-the-precipice-fall-down/