[lbo-talk] the nonsense of public opinion

martin schiller mschiller at pobox.com
Sat Feb 28 15:52:41 PST 2015

> On Feb 28, 2015, at 2:31 PM, MM <marxmail00 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Maybe there’s an interesting question to be pursued as to whether the form of power implicated in such turning points must necessarily be the power of coercion, or whether such a turning point might manifest in the domain of persuasion. I can’t think of an example, and my sense is that the answer is no. We are a stubborn lot.

A 'form of power' that I find interesting is the refusal to 'promote from within' when it comes to police (and fire depts). Leadership from outside, under the authority of officialdom seems to reveal discontent among rank and file. Whether the tendency to 'avoid the conflicts within' would diminish if leadership was promoted from within their own ranks is a question that seems worth considering?

martin