[lbo-talk] the nonsense of public opinion

MM marxmail00 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 21:23:23 PST 2015

On 01 Mar 2015, at 6:29 AM, Joseph Catron <jncatron at gmail.com> wrote:

> In
> neighborhoods that, according to your wisdom, "require extra vigilance,"
> cops are actually quite likely to excuse themselves from the scenes of
> minor crimes if reporting them will include a hassle. Anyone who lives
> there can tell you that.

You’re grasping, Joe. Excusing themselves from the scene of minor crimes is not remotely the same thing as avoiding conflict. I’m talking about the kind of aggressivee “eyeballing” and petty provocation that black males between the ages of… what, maybe 8 and 50?… are confronted with all the time. It’s endemic to the culture of policing in America, precisely because of the history and dynamics of class and race and policing in America - things that you obviously recognise, but don’t seem to have the theoretical grounding to apply usefully in interpreting actual events and situations. So you end up invoking “evidence” that’s off-point, and lashing out defensively about old white men and religion. Maybe lose a bit of the attitude.