[lbo-talk] Latest blog post. Those Who Came Before Us

michael yates mikedjyates at msn.com
Mon Jan 5 10:42:36 PST 2015

In an effort to provide something akin to what used to be on lbo but is no longer.

Full at http://cheapmotelsandahotplate.org/2015/01/05/came-us/

"When we were considering a move to Hawai’i, I looked at a map and was surprised to see how isolated these islands are, a few specks in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. I wondered what they were like and how humans came to find such remote lands. Once we arrived on the Big Island, we began to explore, haphazardly at first and then with more purpose, and to read as much as we could about what we were seeing.

There are innumerable signs of the presence of the original inhabitants. Stone structures, some well-preserved and others just remnants of walls, dwellings, and burial sites, are everywhere. We have seen thousands of petroglyphs, pecked laboriously into the lava. Along the western coast, we have marveled at large spring-fed fish ponds, which the Hawai’ians connected to the sea in such a way that small fish could get into them but as they grew larger could not escape. Toward the mountains we have seen faint traces of what were terraced fields on which farmers grew sweet potatoes and taro."