[lbo-talk] [Pen-l] Can Syriza realize its ambitious goals?

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Tue Jan 6 15:43:05 PST 2015

On Jan 6, 2015, at 5:24 PM, Marv Gandall wrote:

> On Jan 6, 2015, at 1:41 PM, raghu <mraghu01 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> There is no contradiction here. It is a gamble - maybe even a bluff
>> - on Syriza's part that the EU can be forced into supporting an
>> orderly debt default without submitting to austerity policies.The
>> EU is not going to like that, but why assume that it will be Syriza
>> rather than the EU who will be forced to capitulate?
>
> If Tspiras and the other Syriza leaders were bluffing, they would be
> boldly announcing their intention to leave the eurozone unless the
> debt was radically restructured...

Syriza does not threaten to leave the eurozone because neither it nor the Greek people want to do so. It is Merkel who is bluffing with a busted straight. How do we know that? Because the eurozone has no provision in its statutes for expelling a member. So Greece can reschedule its debts to suspend payments until its economy recovers the ability to make payments, and the eurozone, as such, can do nothing about it. Euro banksters can, of course, form up a financial lynch mob and go after the Greeks. If they were to do so, however, they would tear the eurozone apart and bring new-leftist parties to power throughout the southern tier (Greece, Italy, Spain, Portugal) and Marine Le Pen would become president of France. Are they suicidal? Papandreou caved pathetically before Merkel and Sarkozy. Tzipras obviously has no intention to do so.

Shane Mage

This cosmos did none of gods or men make, but it always was and is and shall be: an everlasting fire, kindling in measures and going out in measures.

Herakleitos of Ephesos