[lbo-talk] Am I or Am I Not Charlie?

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Fri Jan 9 21:42:00 PST 2015

On Jan 9, 2015, at 9:44 PM, Bill Bartlett wrote:

> On 09/01/2015, at 5:36 PM, Michael Smith <mjs at smithbowen.net> wrote:
>
>> Somebody please explain to me how that 'gravity' thing is
>> supposed to *work*, anyway.
>
> I am far from being a physicist, but I conceive gravity as being a
> side-effect of the bending (compression?) of space/time by objects
> of large mass. But correct me if I have misunderstood?

But what is the meaning of the expression "space/time," its *definition*? And what about "bending" (or "compression")? Let someone try to make a sentence about gravity using, not those words, but their *definitions*. I suggest that any resulting sentence will be totally meaningless in terms of any conceivable human experience. That is because in scientific usage the only referents for those terms are not words descriptive of possible experience but abstract mathematical equations quite divorced from physical reality and our perceptions of it.

Shane Mage

This cosmos did none of gods or men make, but it always was and is and shall be: an everlasting fire, kindling in measures and going out in measures.

Herakleitos of Ephesos