[lbo-talk] Am I or Am I Not Charlie?

magcomm magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jan 13 16:47:24 PST 2015

Joanna:

> I think the diff between agonistic and antagonistic is that with agon you have engagement from which both parties benefit and with antagon you have one side or the other winning.

I think agonism also results in one side winning and one side losing with the difference being that with agonism, one conceives of both themselves and their opponent as agonists (who may lose an agon, but survives to re-contest), while if one is an antagonist to another, the goal is the destruction of the antagonist so that they can no longer offer any resistance/struggle.

It just may be that class struggle demands understanding both ourselves and our opponents as antagonists.

Brian