[lbo-talk] Deconstructionism in contemporary leftish discourse

Arthur Maisel arthurmaisel at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 09:43:22 PST 2015

Pomo certainly isn't dead and may be for the time being more pervasive an influence, because it has now reached into commercial ("popular") culture; for example, in the reflexivity of genre movies (they enact the conventions of their genres while at the same time conveying that they know they are following conventions). But this may be like the (apparently accurate) portrayal of death by consumption in nineteenth-century operas like La Traviata, where the protagonist suddenly feels "so much better" right before she dies.

Pomo can be seen as the latest version of what philosophers generally refer to as "skepticism." It is a troublesome doctrine, but contending with it has in the long run been productive (e.g., no Descartes, no Hume; no Hume, no Kant; ... Hegel, ... Marx, ...).

The problem that Andy is describing, however, is more that pomo provides nasty ammunition to those who want to score discursive points as a means of defeating opponents without having to debate the real issues. But that didn't start with pomo and I'm pretty sure won't end with it.