[lbo-talk] Deconstructionism in contemporary leftish discourse

Andy andy274 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 13:42:46 PST 2015

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 4:13 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> On Jan 16, 2015, at 4:05 PM, Lenin's Tomb <leninstombblog at googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I think there is much throwing of babies with bathwater in Mark’s
> article, but I’m sure he wouldn’t embrace the idea of scapegoating
> ‘postmodernism’ for this. Would he?
>
> I feel like I've entered a time tunnel with this scapegoating of
> postmodernism again. Didn't we get past that ages ago?

Then call it a misuse of the word. My point isn't to put postmodernism on trial (again), though the text in the comic sounded awfully familiar. Was it by way of a game of telephone?

If it's just being a total fucking asshole, it's doing it in a particular way that appears favored by particular people in particular venues, at once wider than call-out culture and more specific than liberalism, and 20+ years ago it seemed to favored by students of cultural/women's/American studies. Do I misremember that?

Joanna, I'd be curious if could elaborate on what you saw that made you switch.

-- Andy "It's a testament to ketchup that there can be no confusion."