[lbo-talk] Deconstructionism in contemporary leftish discourse

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Fri Jan 16 14:04:41 PST 2015

On Fri, January 16, 2015 3:48 pm, Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Jan 16, 2015, at 4:44 PM, Michael Smith <mjs at smithbowen.net> wrote:
>
>> You're much too hip for us old farts, Doug.
>
> C'mon you can do it too

I appreciate the vote of confidence. I would have loved to be hip 30 years ago, but now I've gotten kinda used to being an old fart. Still, if the good fairy were to waft through my windey and offer to hip-ify me with a wave of her wand... well, as Mark Twain said in a different context, it would be dangerous to try the experiment.

I *do*, by the way, ride a fixed-gear bicycle. No doubt that's desperately passe, though?

-- Michael Smith

It is very easy for someone to be good at math; most of the time the kind of math that economists do would not impress a mathematician, but it is enough to impress people around them in the school of social sciences. -- Thomas Piketty